Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Writer's bench

Temporary time-out from knitting today. Because yesterday I spent a lovely chunk of the afternoon writing on this bench at the Morton Arboretum:

Is it surprising what a lot of writing gets done when one is surrounded by waving blue hostas? The trouble with writing is that you do it, of necessity, by yourself. Not here. And the hostas never get bored watching.

After my writing session, I took a wee walk around. Here are the surreal tulips:

Click on the photo to see it enlarged and you'll see what I mean. It's as if the tulips got together yesterday and decided, "today we will be perfect." Hah -- caught them in the act.

The back of the Arb's new visitors center:
A shot at the end of our bike ride through the east side (yes, that's my sideview mirror; no, I got off the bike to take the photo):
And finally a peep at a member of the Arb's bug sculpture show:
There's an ant parade sculpture best viewed from atop Frost Hill. I managed to pedal up Frost Hill yesterday, all the way, without having to get off my bike. Next time maybe I'll remember to stop and take a picture, rather than spending the time panting and patting myself on the back for taking a huge step to get back in shape. Since the last time it snowed here west of Chicago was just two weeks ago, we're doing pretty well getting out there biking. One friend of ours bikes to work every single day, blizzard, rain, windstorm and other Chicago-type weather, doesn't matter. Don't know how he does it. But I've ordered a poncho from L.L. Bean in hopes that I can at least bike in spring/summer/fall rain. My bike doesn't have a chain, so rain not a problem except for that getting soaked issue. And sliding. Falling. Take control! Uh, sure.

Back to my knitting.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Such beautiful tulips! Lovely photo.