Monday, January 28, 2008



“Often self-proclaimed” -- This part of the definition of maven is a hoot. I can buy into the specialized knowledge bit, and the “understanding” part I love. But what knitter knows everything?

I’m Lisa Kartus. I wrote Knit Fix: Problem-Solving for Knitters (Interweave, 2006). Knitters need to know how to navigate around potholes so they can travel into unexplored territory. Of course, planning ahead helps. Says the woman who started the above sweater as a stole and then just, well, kept knitting. I loved the way the colors were working together.

Or maybe I mostly love experimenting. Like this blog. For me it’s new technology. For all you experienced bloggers out there, no laughing, OK? I’m getting there. Someday I may even figure out how to give this page an entrelac background.

Besides this blog (and a novel I’m restructuring, but that’s another story entirely, pun intended) what I’m writing lately is a follow-up of sorts to Knit Fix. And I now have a partner in crime, Kristen Quain, who is to knitting approximately what Einstein was to physics. Hyperbole? Uh, no. I’m telling you, the lady is amazing. She thinks in numbers and geometry and stitches, all at once.

This is Kristen in her new haircut and her own sweater design. Oh, and she spun the yarn herself.



Now, what do you think of this?



It’s that new Kureyon sock yarn knit on #7 needles -- sort of fingering-weight open-weave entrelac. It’s about half the body of a shrug. Haven’t decided on the sleeve stitch yet.

All right, going to see what it’s like to publish a blog now. Well, just one more thing: today’s quote:

Hand knitting “Being a medium that is self-absorbing without being self-obsessed...”
from Knit Couture, by Gail Downey and Henry Conway, p. 9

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,
That sweater that starts at the shoulders is pretty cool. Jill is making a green one and it's turning out nice.

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

The blue lace cardi is simply lovely.

Was it difficult do entrelac with Kureyon Sock?

Happy blogging.

Sue