Saturday, February 2, 2008

It's 70 degrees somewhere

Just not here, west suburban Chicago. We had what was evidently an unexpected blizzard Thursday, since the snowplows where sleeping wherever plows sleep. Yesterday and today: more snow, though mere frosting. However, on Monday I'm headed to where it's going to be 70: Charlotte, NC.

In Charlotte, best friend (years before My Space homogenized the phrase) MB teaches art to high school students. She's got a grant to teach them knitting, the idea being that knitting creates community. Her students will be donating the scarves the knit in class to a local women's shelter. And I'm off to help teach them. MB has it all organized; I just have to show up. Of course, it's supposed to rain and snow at O'Hare Monday, so showing up may be something of a trick. Oh, and 140 American Airlines pilots retired yesterday. Expect delays. I'm taking three knitting projects, one book and iPod loaded with two complete audio books. Did you know you could actually fill up a Nano?

One of the knitting projects is a spring-weight entrelac shrug made of Noro Sakura:


Sakura is out of print, so to speak. But when I called Three Bags Full Knitting Studio and asked if they happened to have some, since they carry just about everything Noro, they did. Lynette, owner of Three Bags Full (or 3BF, as it appears in my calendar), is one of those wonderfully encouraging people who said "Sure" when I suggested fixing mistakes classes at her shop so I could test out what I was writing in Knit Fix. 3BF is located in what used to be somebody's house. Now it has a basement full of yarn back-stock. When I called about Sakura, I was hoping there might be some down there, and sure enough they had plenty for the shrug I had in mind.

The Sakura will be a slight variation on this one, finished last week:

This, by the way, is as glamorous as the Knit Maven gets. I asked Michael, owner of Camp Cosmetics (across the street from String Theory), to photograph me. Sure, but first he dusted and brushed and smoothed and generally did his cosmetic thing. How good is he? Well, when Project Runway was in Chicago, they sent a limousine for him. Twice.

No comments: